Sunday 29 September 2013

The Photograph

I was reading the first 2 chapters of the The Photograph, which came with the course materials. The first chapter was an interesting insight into the history of photography, but I found the second chapter particularly interesting; it really changed the way I looked at photographs and why you shouldn't just take them on face value.

The Diane Arbus example they use (Identical Twins, 1967) I found particularly effective as I had noticed the difference in facial expression immediately, but only after I read on did I begin to see the other differences in the girls appearances. After this, you get a really effective contrast being the perception of identical twins and the reality; they are in fact two unique individuals.

Albuquerque (Lee Friedlander, 1972) was a example that I'm still indifferent about. Whilst I agree with the analysis of the text in how there are multiple examples of different forms of communication in the image, I struggle to comprehend that this was going through the photographer's mind when he composed the image. What struck me the most about this image is how important a photographer's commentary is to the image; whilst we can all form an opinion about an image, it's also important to get an impression of why the photographer took the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment